The Wake Up by Catherine Ryan Hyde

The Wake Up
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Wake Up is a compelling fiction novel written by Catherine Ryan Hyde. This is my first time to read a book by Hyde so I didn't set any expectations before reading this. The plot and Hyde's storytelling ability are both unexpectedly exceptional, hence I was able to finish this book within 2 days.

This novel is about Aiden Delacorte and the so-called recent "wake up" that happened to him. Because of the said incident, his life had a 180° turn and one of the changes was how to cope with his girlfriend's younger kid named Milo. In the end, Aiden finally realized that he was like Milo when he was still young, though Milo's case is more severe than his. He was able to sympathize and understand what the kid's going through because of their similarity, and also because of the wake up he experienced.

Probably it's just me, but I believe that Hyde wasn't able to fully impart the intensity of emotions in the characters. Although there's a shortcoming, it didn't greatly affect the entirety of the story of this novel. In general, I had a great time reading this book and would still recommend this to anyone who enjoys this kind of stories.