My Secret Dog by Tom Alexander

My Secret Dog My Secret Dog by Tom Alexander
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The children's book My Secret Dog of Tom Alexander is about the story of a little girl who wants to have a dog. One day, a dog followed her at home; she end up keeping a secret from her mom and the people around her that she adopted the said dog.

I like how this short and adorable story teaches kids to try not to keep a secret from their parents, particularly stuff like this. The ending is cute and funny, but it is a little disappointing that the girl still haven't learnt her lesson.

I'm not sure if the ARC sent by the publisher is the final look of the book. I'm just concern with how dull the appearance of the book because the font and the illustrations are both in black. I think that the illustrator must put a color on those stick-figure drawings so it will be more appealing to the young readers.

I'm not a psychiatrist or a psychology major, but based from what I've learnt from Psychology subject way back in college, kids are attracted to books that colorful because it is eye-catching and it stimulates brain activity. If the author and the publisher could only make this livelier, a lot of kids will adore this story book.