Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

Turtles All the Way Down
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I've finished this book months ago but I have to re-read it so I could refresh my memory. I understand that a lot of readers, notably his fans, were raving about this latest novel by John Green — he vividly depicts how those who experience some mental illness, such as OCD and anxiety, suffers and struggles in their everyday lives.

Green's writing skill is undeniably highly praiseworthy and impeccable but I find that the story of Turtles All The Way Down trying-to-be melodramatic, especially on the love story of Aza and Davis. I've read some of his past works and he became well-known because of this kind of stories. However, I believe that this recent novel of Green is trying too much to be sentimental when it should not; it is like pushing readers to cry or to feel sorrow but there are several that just weren't able to grasp the emotions that he wants to convey.

I still anticipate the novels that John Green would be releasing and I'm looking forward that there might be a happy ending to one or two of his stories in the future.